From ghost kitchens through smart, AI-powered POS systems, restaurant digital ordering will advance by light-years in 2020. Restaurateurs need to understand the driving forces of the top trends, which trends will be most prevalent, and how to take advantage of such trends to achieve strong growth.
What’s Driving the Top Trends in Restaurant Digital Ordering
The growth of digital ordering is nothing short of astonishing. According to Restaurant Dive, digital restaurant orders have grown 23% annually since 2013, and that value will swell to more than 66% by the end of 2020. Moreover, customers are pushing for faster, more diverse delivery options, forcing a change in the market. In the end, consumer demand for more is the top driving force of trends in digital ordering.
Trends in Digital Ordering
The trends of restaurant digital ordering derive simplification of workflows within the kitchen and throughout the customer experience. These trends include:
- The continued focus on mobile order-ahead options for customers that need a speedy, affordable meal. Customers are always on the hunt for convenience, and mobile order-ahead by apps and websites makes ordering an easy, fast process.
- Fewer touchpoints to reduce the risk of mishandling food. As nations across the globe look to contain spoilage and food mishandling, delivery and takeout by minimizing in-store time will become essential.
- The white labeling of food delivery through established partnerships with third-party delivery services, eliminating the need for customers to order from the third-party directly and still receive food from the third party. It’s a confusing prospect, but it is reality.
- Blending of rewards programs with third-party platforms. While rewards are generally reserved for branded restaurant digital ordering capabilities, more restaurants will look to the infusion of third-party integration with rewards to drum up additional business and tailor marketing to boost average check size.
- The infusion of artificial intelligence in digital ordering will improve guest experiences. AI will also help route delivery orders and take advantage of kitchens that solely prepare food for delivery, e.g., dark or ghost kitchens.
How to Take Advantage of the Trends in Digital Ordering
The steps to taking advantage of the trends in digital ordering are simple and include the integration of services with your POS and the use of big data analytics. Restaurateurs must apply big data analytics to drive digital marketing. As explained by a past Tacit client:
“There’s a greater ability to see exactly the spending habits of Joe Smith in Arkansas. We know exactly what he ordered, when he ordered it, how many times he orders it, and the likelihood of him ordering it again. There’s a lot of the ability to target folks based on advanced analytics and not just the old way of doing this is, which is let’s mass text or mass email out this entire collection of people with the exact same offer. We can now target offers.”
Continued integration between systems further enables the realization of the top trends of restaurant digital ordering. Remember that disjointed systems lead to headaches and poor execution of kitchen workflows. Integration eliminates the hassle of entering orders manually, reviewing order details for accuracy, and planning labor management. As advancements in POS capabilities grow, integration will simply become the best practice for all restaurants.
Align Your Organization With the Trends in Restaurant Digital Ordering Now
Restaurateurs must align their organizations with the top trends in restaurant digital ordering to keep customers returning and maintain profitability. Failure to implement the technologies and integrate them will naturally lead to an alienation of customers and loss of business prowess. Find out more about how your organization can implement digital ordering capabilities by visiting Tacit online today.